Water Log


I spent over an hour in the shower this morning, and I have no idea where the time went. Believe me that my fingers were quite prune-like, and I'm sure I absorbed a significant amount of water. Realizing that you've killed quite a bit of time and fallen behind in your schedule is kind of maddening, especially when I've got nothing to show for it.

It happened again in rehearsal. There I was, waiting to play, and I just kept on waiting, even after my part came and went. It's not exactly a soft, relaxing piece, either. Percussive wood-block like the tick of a giant clock propels the piece forward. I confess I never even heard it start. If the guy next to me hadn't leaned over and tapped my music, I'm not sure when I would have snapped out of my "episode".

It's almost a guarantee that when you've got something on your mind, time reorganizes itself to give you more time to brood on it. My afternoon class cancelled because of incoming inclement weather, I had lots of time to kill. Being on campus with sudden free time will do that to you.

And now I can't type anything else. Not because I don't want to, but because I'm compositionally stuck in neutral. Even now, I realize I've been staring at the computer screen for 10 minutes without forward progress on this entry. Where does the time go? Maybe I can file a form with someone and get it back, when I need it. Like income tax.

Comments

  1. If you find some loophole, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your time floating by, so I grabbed it just in case. Just holler when you need it back!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment