Oh, I forgot.

Time is passing.

I've just had an email from an old friend, to announce her engagement to me. Ahem. To announce (to me) her engagement. She states something that she is very glad she waited until after her early 20's to get engaged, and that she knows so much more being older than 25 than she did at 21.

I get used to the idea that the passage of time means less and less as the years progress. The difference between a child of 1 and one of 6 is vast. Between the ages of 40 and 45, one may not even move houses, change jobs, or go on vacation. And between 98 and 103, the only difference may be that Williard Scott changes his description of you from "is a pistol" to "still handsome".

But time moves along. Can you think back to all the times in your life when you wondered, in the future, where you'd be? Now that you've arrived, were you correct? I doubt it. We all have a way of ending up far from where we started, even if we never leave home.

Some people have families; others never will. Friends I've known have already been engaged, married, happy, sad, divorced, and engaged again. In that order. Is it poor choice? Hardly. Nobody I know would make a bad choice on purpose. But time passes, and with it, people change.

None of the high school students I knew were ready to be married. But the adults they've become....

That's a different story.

Comments

  1. Are you where you wanted to be? Or perhaps satisfied with where you are? I hope so.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment