Pretty Sneaky, Karma.

So, when I rant about musicians degenerating into children, the next day I get to listen to one of the best recitals I've ever heard, filled with musicians who performed exceptionally. Point taken!

It was an exceptional recital. Not just because I got fed afterwards, or got recognized from the stage. No, it got better than that! The soloist was good. The music served him, not the other way around. I felt that he had a great understanding of how the music on the page looked, and then enhanced it with his general musical feeling. It was an amazing recital.

That, and the subsequent brass quintet was praiseworthy. It was a pleasure to listen to them perform, even if they haven't figured out a catchy name yet. I did some coaching with them early on, but in the weeks since I've heard them, they added many interesting musical ideas. During every section, I was eager to hear the next, to see how they'd sound or if they'd changed anything.

And even though I didn't have the words to tell them, I am proud of them. That phrase gets over-used and I'm not sure it will have the full effect I intend, but I don't have any other words that communicate what I feel. Perhaps that explains my uncharacteristic enthusiasm for this performance. I don't care. What good is a blog if you can't have completely one-sided opinions?

Even though it sounds goofy, I'm proud of each one of the performers and the musical product they created.

Coincidently, it's almost a year to the day after another ensemble performance that had me angry. I can't recall ever being motivated to true anger (which is rare for me) by music. Yet it happened. I'll tell that story next time, because I want the last thought to be of admiration of tonight's soloist.

I'll break my own guideline to congratulate William Hess by name for an excellent show.

And good food.

Comments