Tears for Fears


Last week I was talking to a woman who was complaining about P.M.S. She always feels confused and out of control, bursting into tears for small reasons. I remember thinking at the time that I couldn't really comment on that, not being familiar with having unmotivated emotional rollercoasters.

I had forgotten that I do have motivated emotional rollercoasters.

Friends getting married, divorced, babies, deaths, illnesses, triumphs, longings, disappointments, losses, injustices, good news, attractions, loves, and worries. Every once and a while (like today), it crests and drives me under.

Good thing it's cathartic, and when it passes I feel, if not better, then at least sober. Suppressed emotions have a way of multiplying, and I know firsthand it's better to get things out of the way as they come. It becomes difficult, though, when there is no time for it; when circumstances or inclinations prevent a proper release.

It occurs to me that if I spend the majority of my time worrying about the problems of others, I must have a good life. I'm not so altrusitic that I'd be able to ignore myself if I had pressing difficulties.

*** *** ***
On a related thought, I've left a part of my soul in my past.

Now that I think about it, I'm sure that I've left little pieces here and there along the way. But I'm specifically speaking of a single moment, frozen in time. It was in a place of great contentment. As other memories fade, that one remains. I don't remember the day, what had happened, what happened after. It's not even really a memory. There isn't any action, save for snowflakes falling. It's more like a place, formed from the chemicals and electrical impulses in my brain.

Yet ever since that day, I can't shake the feeling that I left a part of myself there, in that moment. I don't say that to indicate that I feel incomplete now. It's simply that a part of my self was anchored there. I can summon that time, but it's not really a memory and not an emotion. It is a sad happiness, a serious joy. It is having empty hands and feeling them overflow. It is having hours pass without a single second elapsing. And all the while, snow is falling.

It is also, without a doubt, inviting ridicule to try to explain to anyone. As I reread it, it smacks of pretension of the worst kind. What's with all this poetic nonsense? I can only explain that this moment gives me comfort and helps me understand emotions in other people. Hopefully, that lends it gravity.

Comments

  1. It's simply that a part of my self was anchored there.

    You know, I don't think I have ever seen a sentence which wasn't more thought provoking. Anchoring is pretty important in our lives and it isn't a matter of losing part of yourself... it's in fact, a measure of making yourself whole in ways which are meaningful. I think people who can't settle with who they are, have lost track of those anchors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't cad's comment actually mean that every single other sentence she's seen was more thought provoking than yours?

    :) I'm a grammar nut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great prose...oh, to emulate!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment