Boy, that guy looks familiar...


Walking through the halls today, the fellow standing at the end of the hallway turned to look at me and said my name. It turns out to have been a fellow I went to high school with! He was in town to audition/interview for a composition degree. What an odd co-incidence.

As a result, I've been washed over with assorted memories from that time period. This fellow was my original section leader in my first year of marching band. Playing the baritone part on my trombone, for projection and because I hadn't been to band camp and the trombone part was hard (it had ledger lines, for crying out loud!).

My goodness. That was almost fourteen years ago...

After I wrote that last line, I sat staring at the screen for 15 minutes.

And after I wrote that comment, I still sat for another 5 minutes.

It makes a person think introspective thoughts, after dipping into the past. My study is "soggy with nostalgia", as Tom Lehrer would say. So many memories at my fingertips. Every possible way of thinking about things leads to new memories: individual faces, musicals, architechture, clothing, classes, teachers, books, places, trips, projects, vocabulary, languages, a bag of chocolate Kisses, a purchased carnation, locker color and location, movies, weather, band music, New Orleans, a shattered glass, A Brief History of Time, a "good man".

Too many thoughts. I feel like I need to hide under my blanket to escape them. I obviously haven't had enough to drink. Or too much. I'm not quite sure how it works. Anyway, it wasn't the right amount.

Comments