Again, with the laughing?


Let me put aside humbleness for a moment: I know I'm funny. Not all the time, and often my material falls flat or victim of bad timing. But, I do have my moments of inspired wit.

With that said, I can't stand someone who laughs out loud at me all the time. I'm not an idiot. Not everything I say is worthy of good old-fashioned laughing out loud. There's a very discrete sliding scale! It's my opinion that some portion of what I say can be responded to with (in no particular order):
  • a smirk ("Oh yes, ha.")
  • a slap to my head ("You shouldn't even have said that!")
  • a withering look of disgust ("You shouldn't even have thought that.")
  • a smile of bewildered amusment ("Only someone as naive as you...")
  • a smile of dumbstruck amusment ("Why would you think that's funny?")
  • a smile of cautious amusement ("If I laugh, will you keep talking? 'Cause I hate that.")
  • a smile of polite amusement ("Yes, you're very funny. Here's a smile. Please, move on.")
  • a smile without eyes ("It's too bad you just don't understand why you're pathetic.")
  • a scrunched nose, lip curled, eyebrow raised look of derision ("Not only is that NOT funny, it's lame.")
  • a hint of a smile in mouth and laughter in the eyes ("I can play the game just as well.") NOTE: Can be used by both sexes, but has much different interpretations.
  • a good, old fashioned laugh ("Ha!")
  • a good, new fashioned laugh ("LOL!")
  • an acknowledgement of being ensorcelled by hilarity ("Zounds! I am much afeard my pee is vacating my body, such beith the strength of your drollery.")
The vast majority of people appreciate the subtle interaction that is laughing after a joke, good or bad. Some, though, in their desire to be well recieved, seem to think that laughter in excess is acceptible. It's not true; specifically, some pieces of humor are thrown out as sacrifical scraps to make sure the audience is discerning! Give no undeserving jest your attention.
Good rules to live by.

Comments