"Even his griefs are a joy long after to one that remembers all that he wrought and endured."

--Homer (800 BC - 700 BC)

Denial: There must be some mistake. It's just not possible. I can't believe it. You're mistaken! It's not right. It doesn't work this way. Obviously the whole situation is wrong.

Anger: Wrong? Of course it would be wrong. I can't believe that anything is ever RIGHT! There's no way this is fair. This is so frustrating. I'm not usually like this; doesn't anyone understand? Or even give a damn? Why does this stuff happen to me? Isn't it time to visit despair on someone else? I'm tired of it always being me! There's nothing that can be done, so don't bother.

Bargaining: But if something could be done... There's always a way back. I wouldn't just be abandoned here. I bet I could change. If I really tried, that would make everything the way it was. Well, maybe not everything, but I might be able to hold on to what I have for a while longer.

Depression: But what would be the point? It's bound to happen again. Sooner or later...there isn't any way to escape it. I don't think things are going to improve. There's no reason to even try. Should you bother to fight a losing battle? Once you're in the rapids, there's no use trying to swim. You might as well go limp and hope you survive to the other side.

Acceptance: Because there is always peaceful water downriver. It may not be fair, it may not be right. It may just plain suck. But life continues on, and surrendering to the current and expecting it to bring you ashore isn't going to work. There are things that need doing. It's not just about me anymore. Miring in self-pity doesn't help anyone, including me. When the sun rises, the next round starts. Get ready.

Comments

  1. So I take it dinner with Dave was not good...you seem a little down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I just wanted to correct a spelling error. Sorry for appearing to to be spamming.

    Have you seen the Simpsons episode where the Homer eats a blowfish and the doctor tells him he's going to die? Well, if you havent, he basically goes through these steps in about 2 seconds. It's highly amusing, but as I write this perhaps I should not make light? I dont know. At any rate, I hope you are well......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment