Straddling Two Eras

If I mention "Mozart," everyone probably thinks of a long time ago. I mean, he dies in 1791. No doubt a great deal of time has passed; more than 10 generations since his death. This interesting story relates to him, or at least his wife, Constanze Weber.

Photo of Mozart's Widow Found

It seems that someone found a copy of an old daguerreotype taken of her when she was visiting another family. I wouldn't have thought anyone with the name "Mozart" would have been around to have their pictures taken. Instead, I picture formal portrait sittings spaced over weeks.

Makes me realize how early photographs came on the scene, and how late Frau Weber was alive. In 1840, when this photo was taken, Martin Van Buren was president here in the U.S., only the eighth since the founding.

Comments

  1. That is indeed a lot older than I would have guessed photography to have come on the scene.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment