Another Day, another heap of spam

When I left my undergraduate college, I knew they were going to disconnect my email address. I signed up through one of the major "free" carriers, and I've carried that email along with me as the closest thing I have to a "permanent" email But it's got spam. Lots. Of. Spam. At some point, I must have plugged it into an unscrupulous website, or someone ELSE did (wittingly or no).

It receives, on average, about 800-1000 pieces of spam a day. My great sanity-saver is that Yahoo does an excellent job of filtering. Most go straight to the Bulk Folder. I hope no one ever sends me anything that's mistaken for spam, because it goes in with all the other refuse. I simply don't have the time to sort through it all.

Occasionally, a piece will slip through the filter and end up in my inbox. It's usually pretty obvious that it's spam, and as a rule, I never open attachments that are sent to me, unless I double check with the sender.

There's been a new trend in my filter-dodging Spam, though. I don't know if it's fiendishly clever, or moronically stupid. This trend is spam without a purpose. Usually, Spam is trying to get you to use their services for prescription drugs, refinancing, etc... Here's the latest piece of spam I got.

Subject: Home is where the heart is zlevzw
Sender: Jannie Bryant [janniebryant20495@xxxxxxxx.xxx]


HOMEOWNERS -- REFINAANCE NOW!

Consolidate your bills, minimize montly mortggage payments and save a lot more than before.

Apply Now no matter of your past credit - especially if you are in bankruptcy
or Foreclosure - for only Cash Out or Consolidate Bills household refinaance l0an


Internet Qualification is FREEE
with no catch

pocus moment boastful abdicate heroin.. sanction.sandburg.


abe.


There was no link included. There is no return address. There was no attachment, or HTML coding, or anything other than a few lines of text. How can anyone make money from this? I assume the whole point of Spam is to make money, but I can't imagine how anyone could from this. Are they just hoping that by seeing this, I'll think, "You know, I should refinance! Ethel, fetch me the phonebook" and call up my local financial agent?

I do like the little Dadaist poem there at the end about boastful heroin. Very telling imagery. I should end my posts that way.

pandowdy noblesse myriapod cogent skald..,3 gossa8mer tropology manga&

P.S. The '8' in gossamer is silent, in case you were reading out loud.

P.P.S. Since most search engines work by indexing complex words from webpages, I may be in for some interesting search traffic. Just like when I mention a three letter word that begins with 's' and ends with 'ex'. Horrible things come out of the depths of the Internet when you use that word lightly.

Comments

  1. The spam I get has even less of a point, it has no return address, no subject, and nothing in the body, it is just an entirely blank email, at least it makes it easy to pick out the spam to delete it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, yes. The famous 0kb "phatom spam." I get those, but only infrequently.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment