Back to School?

My summer history class begins tomorrow. It feels strangely dirty to go to school in the summer. I believe I am currently suffering from the scoffing of my inner child, who knows that the summer is many things, but most especially NOT TIME FOR SCHOOL.

It's a four week course, four times a week. This approximates the 16-week school year, and to celebrate, we get Tuesday off for the Fourth of July. This equates to an entire week of school off. I offer this idea to appease my inner child. Ice cream may also be required.

Speaking of ice cream, someone very knowledgable told me that ice cream, taken in moderation, can be used for weight loss. If this idea were a strangely dressed lady at a dinner party, I would point and laugh. Since ice cream is basically 1) FAT, 2) SUGAR, and .... umm.... 3) COLDNESS, I fail to see how eating ice cream could bring about more weight loss than, say, eating rocks. After all, rocks contain essential minerals, fill your stomach (no more hunger pains), and clunk together when you walk! Best of all, though your weight may increase short term (from eating heavy rocks), soon enough the rocks will leave your system for a nice suprise on the scale.

Back to music history, many people have expressed eagerness to take a similar class. It's music history from 1900-1940. People seem to think this is going to involve fun things, like jazz or ragtime. In reality, it's going to entail things like Varese and Berg. I like Varese. He writes contrabass trombone parts. But he's firmly in the "music you must think about to enjoy" camp. Also include liberal splashings of "music you have to hear several times until it grows on you" in that formula.

And while I like Berg, I feel I may start crying for "Blud" if I have to write one more paper about Wozzeck. Maybe I'll try to write about Five Songs on Picture Postcard Texts by Peter Altenberg instead. The premiere was interrupted by a riot. Sounds like feel-good music!

Comments

  1. Eat rocks if you want, but I'd put chocolate syrup on them ,just in case.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment