A New Personal Best!

I got asked last minute to sit in for some of the jazz rehearsal this afternoon. One guy was coming late, and another was going to step out for a bit, so could I come and play? I had a brief moment of indecision, when I realized that would drive back my "lunch" even further past 4:00, but if I've waited this long..... Sure, why not?

During the course of the rehearsal, I was called upon to play lead, second, and bass trombone parts. This is a first for me: never before have I had the opportunity to sit in three different chairs in a rehearsal, let alone play three out of four possible parts. Also, I had to improvise. And play two different horns. After an hour of orchestra rehearsal. A well-rounded day!

The composition director said afterwards that he really wanted to see me pull off some lead trumpet. He was joking, as he was when he said I should put this on my resume. It did give me lots of valuable playing experience.

Plus, it reminded me that it's a LOT easier to play high on a small horn with small mouthpiece. Wow. Also, I might get roped into more groups next year, since I've demonstrated my "versatility".

EDIT: This is why I keep under my hat that I play euphonium. Well, that, and I'm not very good....

Comments

Post a Comment