Detached from wrong-doing

I watched someone cheating today.

It's not anything new. It's always easier for someone from the class to see cheating than it is for the teacher. This particular instance was in the campus computing lab. I saw someone with a Spanish placement exam on the computer, and a Babelfish in his ear (with apologies to Douglas Adams).

Well, he didn't really have it in his ear, just on his desktop. He was flipping back and forth between the computer test and the translator, plugging things in and getting translated answers in return.

It's not like he was doing it from the dark corner of the lab. Right in the middle of a row, the room filled with Finals Week paper-writers. Hiding in plain sight? Or just not caring.

And what was suprising to me was I wasn't suprised. I certainly didn't get "overturn the apple cart" furious. Not even "You call this Medium-Well" angry. It was more like me thinking a woman is attractive, then watching her pick her nose: just a feeling of detached scorn. Here's a person (whom I don't know) that I might otherwise have felt completely neutral about, but now I have to go to the effort of moving them to the "dislike" list in my mind. Or if that's too much thought to put into it, it's merely a tic on the "bad" side of humanity.

It's just tiring.

Comments

  1. Yea, I agree. Nose picking is generally unattractive and yucky.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment