As Much As I Dislike War and Violence...

this is pretty cool. STORY

Essentially, they're developing liquid armor. Researchers have developed something (the article doesn't give much detail, but I think it's a fabric woven with liquid silica) that can be worn that remains flexible until hit by a speedy object, like a knife or bullet. Then the liquid crystalizes around the location of the impact, but only for as long as the length of the impact. So, it's armor that's completely flexible until you need it to stop something fast and sharp. This sort of science makes me happy because: 1) I am always interested in new defensive technology and 2) it's just really cool!

And while we're on the subject of protection...

May I present the "Armor of God" Pajamas. Based on the verse from the Bible Ephesians 6:11. "Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." They even got the Shield of Faith, but something seems to be missing.... Oh, I know! They seem to have left out the part in verse 17 about the sword of the Spirit. I suppose that a sword, even one made of cardboard, isn't that great of an accessory to go with bed clothes. The last thing you want is little Timmy smiting his sister with the Word of God because they're playing "crusaders and heathens." Whatever happened to the good-old games of "cowboys and the people whose land they took"?

*** *** ***

One of my students asked why my hair was "like that." I responded that it was just genetically "that way," but he said I was wrong, and that I probably didn't comb it. However, he felt I probably didn't need to, since I was going bald.

Naturally, I looked to the Bible on how to deal with such a comment. Probably something about turning the other cheek, or loving thy neighbor. Oh, wait. Here it is.

"[Elisha] went up from there to Bethel: and while he was going up on the way, some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him, saying, "Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!" And he turned around, and when he saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. And two she-bears came out of the woods and tore forty-two of the boys. From there he went on to Mount Carmel, and thence he returned to Samaria." -- 2 Kings 2: 23-25

Amen! When I have unleashed the murderous bears of the Lord, I bet he (and forty-one of his friends) will think twice about talking about my bald head.

Comments