Welcome to the Internet

I suppose I should get used to it by now, but I still hang on to my old habits. I can't get used to finding out things about people over the internet. To clarify, I'm not talking about things that people themselves send in emails or other communications directly to me. That I can deal with.

It's the things about people that they may not advertise. Or, they don't advertise them to ME. Finding someone's name on a message board and reading what they have to say in a completely different environment than I know them. Or stranger still, when (almost without trying) I'm able to find out more than I suspected about a person. Sometimes *too* much.

I've never had a particularly far-reaching social awareness. I know lots about my circle of friends, but the knowledge drops off dramatically the farther down the "six-degrees" they are. But in the space of approximately 15 mintues, I found three people I know who had recently broken up with their significant others. And remember, this is not something that they personally wrote to me; just information floating out on the electric current. Should I even know about this? Sure, they're putting the information out there, but still, I feel the guilty "tabloid" vibe.

*** *** ***
And now it's the next day. Hooray for time lapse. What was I even writing about? I'm not sure. I know I had an idea going into the entry, but I was interrupted, and now reading it doesn't provide me any clue. Darn.

Perhaps I'll come back to it in a few days and remember.

Comments