If you don't have an opinion on this, you should.

The Issue: USA getting close to passing an amendment prohibiting burning the Flag in Protest

Cohesive Argument Supporting the Ban: Citizen's Flag Alliance

Not Quite As Cohesive Argument Opposing the Ban: Cracking the Flag Burning Amendment

I consider this an issue that every American should know about and think about. Far too many people have no knowledge of important issues occuring around them. Of the people who have opinions, how many are just recycling the views of their parents, without bothering to think it through for themselves. I don't mean to say that your parents may not make decisions, but it is the duty (a word I do not use lightly) of everyone to examine their own beliefs. Just because your family or friends think something, doesn't mean you should automatically, too.

My Thoughts:

Flag burning is a stupid idea for a protest. It practically guarantees that no one will pay attention to your argument. It divides you immediately from acceptance by everyone who considers the icon of "the Flag" as more important than the freedoms and ideals "the Flag" represents.

A better way to protest might be to fly the flag upside down, which is a method of showing emergency and a call for aid. It used to be important, but now in the days of cell phones and 911, I'm sure that as a "call for help," it's fallen out of fashion.

So, yes, I think flag burning is stupid. But I think it will be wrong (another word I don't use lightly) to ban it. The whole point of enshrining the First Amendment in the government contract is that you can use the First Amendment to protest anything, even the government.

To me, the difficulty is that people think "the Flag" is what's important. It's not the flag. It's what the flag represents. When you lift the symbol beyond the importance of what it represents, then you've drifted into the realm of idolatry. For a similar situation, examine what people have done to the symbol of "Jesus", and what shallow Christians they've become when "Christ as Unchanging Marble Statue" becomes more important than "love they neighbor."

I respect my country. I love it. But if people aren't allowed to behave in ways I "don't like", then we move one step closer to the "Glorious People's Republic of Andrew and People Like Him". You can't legislate respect. You can't force me to love something. The people who protest with burning flags don't "hate America". If they did, they might be better off burning the Bill of Rights or the Constitution. Wouldn't be as eye-popping, I guess.

Comments

  1. I am so glad that you posted this--it is so important to stay aware of the issues and how they effect everyone, not just our lives.

    P.S.--I agree with your opinions, both about flag-burning itself and disagreeing with legislation against it, completely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment