A Little Salary Maybe You Have?

I've been on the universities staff/faculty mailing list for a while now. Every week, I get stuff about committe meetings, picnics, seminars, faculty notes, etc. Since the university pays me infrequently (at best), it's sometimes interesting to see what they're up to. Occasionally, a notice comes to volounteer time or donate some money. If they would start paying me a salary for doing what I do now, I would gladly donate a portion to whatever. In fact, the more money they pay me, the bigger my contribution would be in dollars! It's win-win!

Most of the communications involve lots of hoidy-toidy activities in inaccessible (for a student) places. Whenever I read these notices, I can't fail but to re-experience some of the awe and mystery I felt for the "Teacher's Lounge" back in grade school.

The "Teacher's Lounge" was this mythical place that the teachers often went when not currently teaching. Sort of a Shangri-La of the suburbs, it called to them while teaching, whispering its sweet promises. I used to wonder what could be so interesting. It must be home to the fabled free soda machine, or maybe a plate of neverending baked goods. I bet they play video games there, too. Anything that might be interesting to a third grader.

There's a lounge at the university, too. I forget what's on the door, but I do know that all faculty and staff have a key, and they always quickly close the door behind them. What could be back there, I wonder? Hmmm....



Gosh, doubtful. There'd be more noise and happiness, I'd think.

Cute, but again, not likely.


Umm, wow. Although it would explain all the unconscious mice I've seen in the hallways....

This is the one rubber stamp they can never bring themselves to use, no matter how much they may want to. "This one girl wrote a 10 page paper believing 'Mozart' was a type of fruit! Please, let me use the stamp! For the sake of humanity!"

In reality, it's probably just a few old tables, a microwave, and a fridge with a burned out lightbulb. But where's the fun in that?

Comments