...now with Voice Messaging

I added another cool piece of technology to the blog. In the right hand column, you'll now see a big "Call Me" button. That button does what it says. Pushing it allows anyone from the US to leave me a voice message from the comfort of your home or cell phone.

Here's how it works:

1) Click the "Call Me" button. It should bring up blank windows for the input of your name and the number where you want Google Voice (the program) to reach you. Let's assume your name is Barry and you want to be reached at 555-555-1234.

2) After inputting the numbers and clicking connect, the automated Google Voice client should call the number within seconds. Barry's phone will ring. When he picks up, the Google lady says "Google Voice is connecting your call."

3) Waiting patiently, Barry is rewarded with my voice mail. He then proceeds to leave a message saying that he hates what's happened in Antarctica, that I'm totally wrong on flag burning, and that my hands smell like bubble gum. Good feedback, Barry!

4) Note that because Google Voice calls him, Barry incurs no long distance charges, other than possibly spending some minutes had he been on a cell phone.

5) It's possible fill the "name" blank with nothing and even instruct Google Voice to hide your home number from me. So this, too, can be totally anonymous should you desire.

6) I, Doctor Andy, am the only person who has access to the voicemail. The messages will never be heard by my cleaning lady, or the neighbor from across the way, or my friends. Everything's password-encoded on my end.

I don't expect to get a stampede of people using this, but it was just too cool to pass up. The fact that computers connect phones together on-demand based on a blog button made my tech senses go crazy. If I wanted to, I could even set up this service so that it would ring my cell phone and we'd be able to talk just like a standard phone call, but I don't want to be disturbed at 3:00 AM just because a random visitor from Poland searching for sex dolls, Florence Henderson, and peanut butter happens to find a fun button on my blog!

If I had a nickel for every time...

Comments