Maintenant en français!

I've mentioned before that the my single most-visited entry is the one which contains the first line to Shakespeare's Sonnet CXXX, "My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun". The content of the entry itself doesn't directly relate to the sonnet text, but ever since I first published it, people have come out of the internet to that page specifically.

In fact, if you search for "my mistress eyes meaning" today, I'm on the first page. And that goes to show that you can't always trust search engines to lead you to what you want. As an experiment, I subsequently wrote a brief analysis of the sonnet and linked to it from the deceitful entry. The number of people who pass on through to that link numbers about 36%.

Today, I had an international visitor. That's nothing new, as fully 30% of my visitors come from abroad. This was the first one who got to the page through a translating service. As such, I was able to see the entry that drew that visitor (Sonnet CXXX, of course) in French.

I'm sure this translation is full of small grammatical errors, as often occurs when a computer tries to literally and directly translate a language. Still, I receive a thrill from seeing content that I wrote translated into another language. I'm sure I'm just having some sort of Gutenberg episode, in which I subconsciously think someone went to all the effort of translating it, instead of an idle computer somewhere.

It still feels special, even if it is automatic and on-demand.

Via Google's In-house Translation Engine: 5 Octobre 2006

Comments

  1. Heh, Dr. Andy reaching out to the world. Hey, maybe you'll be cited as a source in someone's English (French?) paper!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment