Leaving on a jet, plain, old bus.

I'm off to Louisville, KY this morning for the North American Brass Band championship. Much rehearsal time has been spilt to get to this moment, but all I can think about is going back to bed. Perhaps that's my own fault for waiting until last night after a three hour rehearsal to pack and do necessary laundry, but let's not point fingers.

There's a rather long comedy of errors that leads up to me being the person who goes on this trip, but I suppose I'll save that for my memoirs, since it involves a lot of people secretly badmouthing someone else. I will say that while I may have been indifferent to going or staying, some good speeches were made last night where we all congratulated each other on how far we've come and how much time and expertise we've devoted to improving. That may sound self-congratulatory in the way I just described it, but in the heat of the moment, it was quite ennobling to have 35-odd people working diligently towards a goal. For free. Worse than free, because it costs some members quite a lot in gas money just to get there (80 mile drives, each way?).

See you all on Sunday, when I may have some choice thoughts about whatever it is I'm about to find myself in the middle of. Names will be changed to protect the guilty.

Comments