Stop pestering me over IM!

I woke up this morning after having not one, but THREE dreams involving instant messaging communications. I woke up mid-dream in the third, which was about asking a girl out over IM. I know that's a dream, because I wouldn't ever do it in that medium. I remember the story of an acquaintence who had been broken up with via IM message, and I also remember thinking, "That's just about the most lazy and insensitive way to talk to anyone."

It was one of those time-release judgments, because the more I've thought about it over the years, the more it seems just plain awful. Perhaps if the people lived on two separate coasts and it was a large financial event to get together; perhaps then it might be acceptable. These two people lived in the same town. Perhaps even the same dorm. Bad juju!

But back to my dream. As I mentioned, I had dreams involving sending and receiving messages. My IM client makes a particular two-tone sound when a message is received. It's sort of a "boo-DEEP". Imagine you're still three-quarters asleep after a night of hearing that "boo-DEEP" sounds, and suddenly you hear this, muffled through the wall:



It started off as one, at first. It was accompanied by an action in the dream, i.e. I received a message. Then it started happening repeatedly, and my screen was filled with messages. At this point, I started to wake up and realized it was all a dream, and that it was just a flight of geese taking off and talking about it.

Comments