Five Unique Items

I stumbled across this meme and liked it. It was originally intended for an instant messenger friends list (I think), but I'm expanding it to all my friends, because that makes it more difficult. I enjoyed making this list, because I didn't want to just chose things that I owned that no one else did. Since I own a lot of eclectic stuff, that's not too hard. I could just mention things like my recital CD (which no one else owns) and be done. Hopefully my choices inform you about me.

Name a CD you own that no other friend does.

I originally selected the score to "Dead Again" by Patrick Doyle. Though this is probably unique, I decided I would rather chose the score to "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Elmer Bernstein. This score haunted me for months, because it was part of the mix tape that played while I swept floors at St. Louis Bread Co. I was overjoyed when I accidentally discovered which movie the melody of the main title belonged to while renting it from the library.

Name a book you own that no one else on your friends list does.

This one is ridiculously easy, when considering my talent (?) for never throwing old books away. Since it was recently pointed out to me, I'll use "The Art of Shakespeare's Sonnets" by Helen Vendler. The inscription inside the front cover (which is not from the author) reads, "5/17/02 To Andy: On Your Second Graduation. Congratulations."

Name a movie you own on DVD/VHS/whatever that no one else on your friends list does.

This is much harder than the book question, considering my library of movies is small. I'm going to choose "Clue" from 1985, starring Tim Curry. Consistently a movie that makes me laugh uproariously every time I see it. I adore this film and may actually be able to quote it line for line. If I find a woman who appreciates it as much (and as foolishly) as I, I will marry her before the dust settles.

Name a place that you have visited that no one else on your friends list has.

I had to think about this one. Many of the places I've been have been either WITH friends, or to SEE friends, which excludes those locations. I have to be fairly specific. When my college wind band was touring Ireland, our bus stopped in the middle of the windswept ground of the Burren, a region in western Ireland almost devoid of trees and famous for the ancient stone tombs and markers. While the rest of the group was looking at these stones, I went to a small cemetery behind a small church, the only building as far as the eye could see. Standing in that disused place, under the only tree around, I felt a particular kind of peace. The ancient stones were getting the tourist attention, while the "merely old" gravestones from the 1800's were gradually decaying and crumbling. The size of the cemetery alone gave me a sense for how slowly things changed there; since ancient times, few had lived here, and even fewer would continue living there.

Name a piece of technology or any sort of tool you own that you think no one else on your friends list has.

Hmm....I'm looking around, thinking about tools and technology. My first thought was an ink fountain pen, but I'm sure someone else has one of those. I'm going to go with a mechanical movement pocketwatch. It's one of my prized possessions, given to me by my uncle when I graduated from high school. I can not explain how much this watch means to me, what it feels to wind it, what I feel when I hear it ticking.

Comments