Time Of Change

(or "I was in school before you were born!")


I remember "falling back" for the time change as being great. It signals the approach of winter, gives an extra hour of sleep, and I get to run around changing clocks. But now, it just means I feel like going to be at 9:00. Moving time back has made me feel older. Merlin would be proud.

I've spent a fair amount of time lately in conversation with a variety of people. Frankly, it's my drug of choice. Understanding another person is a heady and intoxicating experience. But for all the overblown metaphors I could bring up about this, the conversation itself is easy. The topics may be weighty, but we are almost never at a loss for words. I'm not trying to toot my own horn; I'm just saying that, apparently, when conversation is easy, it's VERY easy.

It's not all wine and roses. What do I say to the person who is trying desperately to make sure she's got enough self-esteem to get engaged? What do I say to the guy who isn't sure if he wants to pop the question? What do I say to the woman who doesn't feel comfortable relaxing and being friendly? What do I say to the high school kid who's flirting with me, besides suggesting "The Graduate" for viewing?

Time marches on. More babies, more divorces, more loves, more life changes.
Then there's me. I feel calm and collected. I feel I am in a state of self-improvement. I feel that I'm in a quiet and pleasant place in life. Perhaps that's why so many people end up talking to me. Maybe it has something to do with my positively sponge-like absorption of personal stories combined with my recent penchant for honesty in discourse.

One thing is certain: time isn't moving as fast for me as it is for many people. Since time is NOT flying and I'm still having fun, I may be in the best of both worlds.

Comments

  1. Now I'm really sad we didn't get the chance to catch up while I was in town.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment