Back in the Saddle

My family was visiting last weekend, and it felt like the last relaxing time before the start of another academic year. The last hurrah before I have to knuckle down and start working again. After they left, I sat down to write an entry, but couldn't think of anything. Then, as is often the case, the more I thought about it througout the day, the more ideas I had. So now I've got too many and I don't know where to start.

As is often the case after I have company leave, I tend to get introspective. Today my thoughts were leading to hypocracy. Anyone who knows me should know that I love hypocracy. In fact, if you've been following my blog, I would conservatively say that 30-40% of my entries talk about it, in some fasion. You must also understand that when I say I "love" it, I really hate it with a passion. The only thing I love about it is deflating people who engage in it.

But I've started to examine myself, and I'm trying to decide if I'm letting in flaws in my own character when I experience what can only be described as "glee" while rooting out instances of hypocracy. After all, the feared fate of the intellectual is to condemn so stringently, but in the end, be hoisted with one's own petard.

So, over the next few months (or less, if I get on a roll), I'm going to examine all of the deadly sins and cardinal virtues. I'll begin with Lust soon (perhaps tomorrow), considered by many to be the most numerous but least offensive of the "mortal" sins. Eventually, I'll end up at my own particular flaw of choice, Pride.

I won't be doing them all back to back, so those of you who aren't interested in ruminations on the nature of sin can just wait a day after I post any of them. I never seem to have much stomach to do too many "heavy" posts in a row. It bogs everyone down, and discourages reading.

I apologize for this post, which is little more than a "watch this space" advertisment, but I'm tired. I can type for a while with my eyes closed, but it doesn't give me a whole lot of hope about being capable of doing any heavy-duty compositions.

Comments