"Eat, drink, and be merry"


Sweet. Lunch with a friend tomorrow! I always enjoy eating a lot more with someone else around. A lesser person may say that he strives to fill himself with conversation just as with food. I'm not going to say that, though. No, sir.

Luckily, I know it's ingrained in my personality, and not a nasty symptom of living alone and talking to my shoes and old textbooks. Perhaps there's something in our genes (or collective unconscious, if you're Jung) that makes us predisposed to eating in groups. Perhaps it goes all the way back to a tribe mentality and sharing the wildebeast. Maybe it's a false memory implanted by the Restraunt Mafia to make sure that average food bills stay high? One can't say for certain.

The last time I ended up having an early lunch, I ended up talking for four hours. It's that same lady again this time. Do I have a prayer of arriving back home before nightfall? We always have an atrocious time trying to decide where to dine. Nobody wants to offend anyone else with their suggestions. Ever since Tippin's closed, where can one go for okay food and pie? These are the kind of things I spend time thinking about, instead of comparing genres of opera for papers.

By mutual agreement, we'll be going to the St. Louis Bread Company if no other choice presents itself by 10:45am tomorrow. It's the same location where I was a manager, so the possibility exists that I may see people I know. Now that I've been exposed and responsible for the care and maintenence of a store, upon entering a location (by default) I begin searching for things that are done well, need improving, or are outright wrong. If only I could make ridiculous amount of money by going into locations and evaluating them. Probably have to be an executive before you get paid for just writing notes.

Luckily, I can evaluate the potential dining experience pretty soon, and whether or not it's neccesary to pick somewhere else to eat. That's only happened with one Bread Co. I know of. I'm looking at you, Columbia Mall!

Comments

  1. Harumph. I wanted to comment and I knew I had created an account a couple years ago. So, I logged in and saw my two posts I had made back in May 2004. This is Nikki, by the way. I was going to delete them b/c they were dumb, but then I changed my mind. So, on the "delete" page, I hit "cancel" rather than "delete". Wouldn't you think that would CANCEL the deletion? I also noticed, at the last second, that the post that was accidentally getting deleted had 2 comments. COMMENTS? I don't think I'd ever known I had them! Wow... So now I guess I've lost the post forever, along with my two unread comments. Now I hate blogger.

    But, on to the reason I'm commenting: first off, I hope that you have "comment notification" turned on, or you could go years without realizing I've left this comment. Especially b/c I'm commenting on a post from back in February. But I have a reason for it, I swear. I'll get to that later.

    Second, Nathan left your blog open, and I was curious what he thought was interesting about a blog titled "A Great Eater of Beef." Nathan is not very interested in beef, normally. So I began reading the latest post. I thought, "Oh, some artsy fartsy weird writer person." Later, I saw it was YOUR blog. Wow. So, I read the rest of the posts too. You're quite the writer! I've known you were a philosophical type of person, but I didn't realize what a good writer you are. I thought you might find my first impression entertaining though. :)

    THIRDLY, and the reason I'm commenting on THIS post. You wished to be paid a ridiculous amount of money just for evaluating restaurants. Okay, so maybe it's not a CRAZY GREAT amount, but... You're familiar with the mystery shopping I've done, aren't you? You probably won't be able to evaluate St Louis Bread Co b/c you may be biased, but there's lots of other places to go! Are you interested? Maybe I'll have to schedule a job & you can go with Nathan & I sometime to see what type of things need to be observed. Usually for sit-down restaurant shops, you don't get paid extra money at all, but you get full reimbursement for your meal! That's a good deal, no? For fast food, you'd usually get reimbursement plus a small amount. For example, for Panera, the job pays $11 which includes the reimbursement for one person and extra pay.

    Oh, and fourthly, have you emailed us your address yet? :)

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment