Is it an apron? Or a smock? A tabard from my craftsman guild?

I got to use my protective covering at work today.

Thankfully, it wasn't like chemical suits or eye protection.  Ever since my first day, there's been a jean apron on my bench.  It was there when I first sat on my stool and sorted through paperwork.  It's remained there as I piled endless instruments and papers on top of it.  When I reach a certain stage in my work cycle, a part of the apron gets uncovered.

Today, I actually put it on.

Not only that, but I put it on because I was trying to protect my shirt.  From work things!  I should mention that donning this apron after noon was actually too late to prevent my first shirt of the day from getting ... soiled.

While I walked out to the mailbox to fetch the mail, a bird crapped on my arm, from shoulder to pinkie.  Help from a kind co-worker confirmed it was also down my back and even made it onto my pants, and may have ended up in my hair.  Bleh.  So when I broke for lunch, I drove back home to swap clothing for clean. 

After lunch, I had the opportunity to work polishing some mouthpieces, via a 3 horsepower turbine, operated by a foot pedal.  I "aproned" myself to avoid getting polish on my shirt.  I felt very professional, finally getting to put to use my knowledge of metal polish after all these years of helping Dad polish the family silver before Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.  Of course, my family never put forks into a gig and rotated them at 150 RPM, but then again, that sounds like a step that might allow 8-year-old me to not only put out his own eye, but the eyes of everyone within a three-house radius.

So that part of the day was fun.  The "being crapped on" is something I can easily do without, while being accidentally disconnected from the phone by the rental company is something that should never be repeated. 

Sadly, I found not one but two documents from major companies today that had typographic errors.  One was the catalog of a major instrument case manufacturer, whose back cover proudly acclaims that they offer a warranty on every "puchase".  The other was the back of one of the rental forms, which talked about transferring "upt" to seven months of rent to another instrument. This isn't even like those tricky words that are spelled correctly but used wrongly -- these are words that should not appear in ANY dictionary.

Certainly doesn't provide me with much confidence in their ability to conduct business or address mistakes.

Comments