Woo! 6 inches of rain!

Last night, the big storm came through. Sometime in the night, the power died. I woke up after that when the room got stuffy, noticing the fan had stopped and the clock was out. "Oh, well. I'll deal with it in the morning."

In the morning, the power was still out. My pocket watch said 7:45 am (hooray for non-electric tech!). Looking out the window, the street in front of my house was partially flooded. Since the street is a wide boulevard with a substantial grass median, "partially" flooded means one entire side and the median under water. The Tomahawk Creek in the park is usually just a quiet little trickle, but when the floods start flashing it leaves its banks and floods "the near way".

The power came on right at 8:00 am, so I was able to catch the morning news. My street was the lead story! Apparently, people were driving around the barricades and flooding their cars, even as late as 7:30, after police had put up detour markers. When the police put up sawhorses after a big rainstorm, I don't think it's because they just picked that spot to dry their equipment.

So I'm going to head over to the newest used car lot in Kansas City, and see if I can't score up some slightly soggy iPods or GPS devices. Even in these modern times, the great river spirits still serve up a sustaining bounty!

Comments