He's completely* believable.

*not completely

Through the magic of the internet and a REALLY bizarre set of coincidences, I'm able to bring you updates on the events of a previous entry.

The first update concerns Ted Haggard, former head of the National Association of Evangelical Ministries. You might remember him from such heartfelt prayers as "Help me, Lord; I think I have 'the gay'" and "I was really stressed out and thought buying meth would help me chill out".

I wrote about him in this entry from November. I'm pleased to offer you an update.

Haggard Pronounced 'Completely Heterosexual'

Yes, apparently while Mr. Haggard was in the "examination period" by his church elders following his ceding of authority, he "discovered" he was completely straight, and not at all gay. Also, the group was "investigating his [Mr. Haggard's] claim that his only extramarital sexual contact happened with Mike Jones. The board found no evidence to the contrary."

So, he's super-duper NOT GAY, and (in a completely unrelated matter) the only person he's had sex with besides his wife (while married) was a homosexual masseuse prostitute. For three years. Not to worry, though. Everything that was immoral was in the context of "acting out situations."

The article goes on to state that he and his family are considering moving to Iowa or Missouri, and that he and his wife are planning to pursue degrees in psychology. This makes me sad. These aren't people who should be studying. These are people who need counseling themselves. I would hope that he'd use this to better understand himself, but I have this feeling that in four years he'll be making the rounds to all the "gay is a choice" conventions touting his new degree and his personal "turn-around story".

On a related note...

"Jesus Camp", the documentary I mention my entry linked above, has been released on home video. It is also currently up on one of the more popular video clip archives, in its entirety. Leaving aside the moral issue of copyright law and illegal video copies, I'm struggling with whether or not I should watch. I do want to see the movie, but I feel that the time must be appropriate. I can't just plunk down and watch it after rehearsal and before a basketball game.

Luckily, the movie's not going anywhere, so I can feel free to await a more favorable mental state.

Comments