Lotta bot

You've probably heard of Google, but I'd like to introduce you to the Googlebot.  Googlebot is the name of the web-harvesting code that Google uses to index things into a searchable database.  If you think of the Internet as being somewhat like the connected railroad network, Googlebot charges down each railway and notes where new track has been added (like I said, it's not QUITE like real trains).

Google is hunting out links that refer one page to another, because it's easier than trying to guess what a new page might be called.  The Googlebot (which is probably an array of Googlebots, plural) scours the Internet for new connections and indexes them.  It was also one of the first visitors to my blog, which probably happens sooner when you're hosted by a Google-owned site like Blogger.

Lately, Googlebot has taken an atypical interest in my site.  For years, Googlebot would visit every six or eight months.  This month, it's visited 10 times.  4 times in the last 24 hours. 

I'm at a loss to explain this change in behavior, other than my blog becoming more popular amongst robots.  Actually, I have been featuring sexy inanimate objects that a piece of code may could find alluring... who am I to judge?

Comments